Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dumb laws...always enticing...

So I was frittering away my time this evening and came across a website citing dumb laws for each state and most cities. Some are interesting, like in Glendale, CA a man with a moustache is not legally allowed to kiss a woman. Also, in Minnesota, i suppose in order to crack down on loitering, it is illegal to stand around any building without a good reason to be there. Mostly these laws are relatively humoring, but then I read the ones for Los Angeles and was apalled (well only with the first law on the list: it is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap no wider than two inches without her consent). At first I was upset since my sorority's philanthropy is the fight against domestic violence, but then I realized the true extent that this law encompasses. What about all those people who have sexually violent tendencies? I live with a few of them and this law is a serious danger to their sexual well-being! I guess this means that they'll have to hide thier true intentions even more....my poor roomates. Here is a list of my favorite laws that lack rationality:

1. It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent. (Los Angeles, CA)
2. Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head. (Minnesota)
3. All residents may be fined as a result of not owning a boat. (Hawaii)
4. It is illegal to cry on the witness stand. (Los Angeles, CA)
5. Toads may not be licked. (Los Angeles, CA)
6. No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July. (Ohio)
7. The penalty for jumping off a building is death. (New York)
8. In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce. (Connecticut)
9. Clowns beware! (Anchorage, Alaska)
10. A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel. (Pennsylvania)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charlotte... I read your blog. No seriously. I, Jenna Samuels, who has prided herself thus far on NEVER reading stupid internet things like blogs and livejournals, LOVES scaleofdeath.com! Also, today, my spotless record of never having listened to kenny g was permanently tarred, against my will, at work. I bled from the ears, drank a bottle of whiskey, and passed out. No, I wish. I yelled at the bartender, then answered the phone, and in a voice sweeter than my usual cherubic voice, said "good evening, fresh restaurant, this is jenna speaking."

ouch.